Note: This plot is intended for the Geist sphere. That doesn't mean that other people can't potentially get involved, especially if someone reaches out to them, but please try to leave the focus of the plot for Geist and Ghostly Inclined characters.
A strange symbol is beginning to pop up in seemingly unrelated cases, surrounding death, murder, suicide and even the grave.
Plot Details So Far
- In February of 2020, Zachariah Talbot exhumed two bodies, that of Bethany and Tracy Turner. Sisters who died in a car accident together. Inside of their caskets their dead bodies seemed to have carved The Symbol into the lid.
- In May of 2020, Riley Murphy came across crime scene evidence of the Genovese Family where a small street gang of four men seem to have ritualistically committed group suicide. The Symbol was on the wall behind them.
- In February of 2021 Francis Delaney was murdered. It was discovered during The Man Fortune, that he had become a serial killer, obsessed with The Symbol, until finally he was murdered by sacrificing the bones of the wrong ghost.
- June 2021 September Mace conveys to Vivienne "Vi" Venturi that Akasha Ravi has the undecaying head of Riley Murphy in her possession. Not only is it refusing to rot, but it's whispering unintelligible words. She also showed Vi a place where animals had come, laid down and died in front of a symbol that formed from cracks in the wall at an old factory.
- July 2021 Vivienne “Vi” Venturi made arrangements with Akasha Ravi for Vi , Yuna Harada, Marcus Caulfield-Brooks, and Claude Salazar to be taken to see the disembodied dead of Riley Murphy. The head didn’t do or say anything until Claude draw the symbol on a piece of paper and showed it to the head, then it started whispering in some unknown language. Yuna got the idea of performing Ishtar’s Perfume on the head in order to try to ascertain what happened in the last moments of Riley’s life. The ceremony was successful. They learned that Riley wasn’t in her body any longer when she was killed, she’d been pulled away from her own body. Unfortunately, the ceremony required Yuna to touch the head. While in the trance for the ceremony, Yuna carved the symbol into her own flesh.
- In July of 2021, meanwhile, Chinelo Obi and Roman Astakhov revisited the warehouse where Riley Murphy and four men of the Genovese Crime Family committed suicide just a year prior. Roman discovered the warehouse had been taken over by the niece of the crime boss, who harbored plans for turning it into a night club called The Haunt. Chinelo extracted the memories of the Genovese goons' and Riley Murphy's suicide and bottled them for safekeeping. Later investigations online turned up an unsettling anomaly of every possible digital track systematically erased. Videos, websites, links and pictures don't work, accounts shut down. The influencer was even locked out of her own social media accounts and received a strange text from a phone number telling her she'd only get them back when she learned to be quiet.
- Late July 2021 Yuna Harada and Claude Salazar paid a visit to David Ester at The Last Chapter to show him the Symbol carved into Yuna and see what thoughts he might have. Claude suggested the symbol is representative of a window. Yuna said that’s exactly what it is. She shared more about her vision or memory from Riley and said the line in the center is blue. Claude mumbled off ideas on what the blue could be and when he said “ocean, sky…” Yuna passed out. When she came to, she told them that she got another vision or memory. The window is maybe partially submerged in water. The blue line is where water meets sky. And while she was there she felt the room tilt…almost like a boat capsizing. Claude came into direct contact with Yuna when he carried her after she passed out and the symbol did not spread to him. So it is not spread just by mere touch, though he did not come into contact with the symbol directly.
- In August of 2021, many of the Sin Eaters gathered for a Bonfire gathering hosted by Uma Szymon. During that gathering they discussed, at length, what they knew so far regarding the Symbol. David Ester and Uma told everything they think the boat represented by the Symbol is one called Freighter and it travels the Ocean of Fragments. They also determined that they don’t think the Symbol is a curse. It is, instead, a cry for help - one they all agreed must be answered.
- How do I engage this plot?: Add yourself to the Count Me In section. Read the IC Rumors below for what information is widely known IC. If it's there, you are safe to assume your character has heard that information either through the IC grapevine off-screen (from the person who posted the info, or from a random no-name NPC who told you when you ran into each other, etc). Figure out from there how your character would react, and do it! If you want to take off-camera downtime actions like research, investigation, asking an NPC for guidance, etc, please put in a ticket.
- I know things I want everyone to know. How do I get that out there?: Add an entry below, under IC Rumors. Feel free to specify a context under which you did or would tell people. Do you just tell every PC or NPC who asks, so the rumor is getting around? You don't have to post anything you don't want to, and are free to require people to seek you out for RP to get information, but if you're tired of explaining the same things over and over, put it up here.
- I was just in a plot scene! Now what? If you have a follow-up, submit a ticket! Even if you don't, it would be great if you could add to the Plot Details and Summary sections above to help keep everyone on the same page with what's being shared IC.
- How do I connect with others related to this plot: Post below in the Count Me In section, and check out others who have opted into the plot as well. You may also wish to post in
- Don't assume everyone knows what you know, even if it was in a public scene. If you have plot detail that isn't listed below, add it.
- This is the documentation of your IC information sharing. Take ownership of it. Include important information that took place in scenes, even if there is a log. Not everyone reads logs!
- Do I have to share what I know? Of course not. You're free to operate at any level of shady and secretive that you like, but generally the most people have fun when information-sharing is collaborative, and plot resolution tends to progress a little more quickly. The choice, of course, is yours.
- Roman Astakhov - Angelica Soto, Niece of Lucas Soto is renovating the warehouse where Riley Murphy died, into a club.
- Chinelo Obi - A local Sin-Eater created memories in bottles containing the final moments of the suicide of gangsters that happened in the warehouse. She's willing to surrender it to someone who can glean more information from the denouement than she can.
- Horace Santos - The vengeful fury has been investigating the death of Riley Murphy, looking into what she investigating and what led to her death. After some leg work he talked with some Mario Chicals to get more details.
According to Chicals, Riley was down by the docks, in one of the warehouses. A place that had seen a previous police investigation before for a ritual suicide. Four men all stood up around a table and shot each other execution-style at the same exact time. That was like a year ago.
She left one time and when she came back she was mentally unstable, breaks all the windows, doing extreme self-mutilation, that's how the killers found her before they killed her
- Riley Murphy was investigating the Genovese family. The Genovese crime family is one of the "Five Families" that controls organized crime activities in New York City, within the nationwide criminal phenomenon known as the American Mafia (or Cosa Nostra). The Genovese crime family has been nicknamed the "Ivy League" and "Rolls Royce" of organized crime. They are rivaled in size by only the Gambino crime family and Chicago Outfit and are unmatched in terms of power. They have generally maintained a varying degree of influence over many of the smaller mob families outside of New York, including ties with the Patriarca, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany and Philadelphia crime families.
Finding new ways to make money in the 21st century, the Genovese family took advantage of lax due diligence by banks during the housing spike with a wave of mortgage frauds. Prosecutors say loan shark victims obtained home equity loans to pay off debts to their mob bankers. The family found ways to use new technology to improve on old reliable illegal gambling, with customers placing bets through offshore sites via the Internet. The modern family was founded by Lucky Luciano, but after 1957 it was renamed after boss Vito Genovese. Originally in control of the waterfront on the West Side of Manhattan (including the Fulton Fish Market), the family was run for years by "the Oddfather", Vincent " the Chin" Gigante, who feigned insanity by shuffling unshaven through New York’s Greenwich Village wearing a tattered bath robe and muttering to himself incoherently.
- Yuna Harada - While performing “Ishtar’s Perfume” on Riley’s head, Yuna carved the symbol into her own body completely unaware when she was doing it.
- Chinelo Obi - It appears that someone with impressive technical capabilities is systematically removing all attempts to communicate about the Symbol and unusual findings surrounding it from the internet. Websites are shut down, users locked out of their accounts, images deleted, and links invalidated. Even Chinelo's social media accounts and followers who attempted to look into the matter as part of a consolidated group effort found themselves frozen out of their accounts. In lesser news, she's acquired the final moments of Riley Murphy in the warehouse leading up to her death.
- Yuna Harada - The symbol is a window. The center line is blue and it represents where the water meets the sky. The w is possibly on a boat somewhere. Yuna felt the room with the window tilt like a boat that is capsizing.
- Claude Salazar - Claude came into direct contact with Yuna and the symbol did not spread to him.
Count Me In
- Marcus Caulfield-Brooks
- Claude Salazar
- Roman Astakhov
- Zahira bint Khalida El Hachmi
- Horace Santos
- Chinelo Obi
- Yuna Harada
- Trajan Ellsworth
- Scheduling Soon