From Dark City
- Communication: Communication is a fundamental aspect of the game and the community. It is our expectation that you are capable and proactive with communicating your intent, your character's intent, etc.
- Mental Health: We understand that many people live with mental health issues and fully believe in removing the stigma from those topics. We work hard to keep our community inclusive and safe, however, with running an online horror game, there are requirements and themes that may not be suitable for every player.
Some requirements will include: taking initiative, communicating schedules, expressing boundaries, and discussing various out of character issues with STs or other players that may involve conflict resolution. All of these can induce anxiety and while we the staff try our best to either limit that or take the brunt of it, it happens, and we expect each and every player to be able to face these challenges or politely step back from the game.
Real life and mental health come first and foremost, but the fundamental system for the game we’re running can not always be changed. These are the tools required. Before entering our game, please consider if this is the right environment for your mental health and safety. If you have any questions about how to proceed, please open a ticket and chat with an Admin.
- Metagaming: You will get banned into the sun. Using any information from the wiki, player logs, or player profiles as IC knowledge without OOC permission/IC justification is grounds for removal. Don't do it.
- Harassment: We have a strict No Assholes policy.
- Harassment, including but not limited to unwanted sexual advances, bullying, and whisper campaigns, is grounds for immediate removal.
- Harassing anyone based on their identity is grounds for immediate removal.
- It is also never acceptable to contact another player to attempt to coerce, intimidate, or harass them into changing their IC actions. You can contact another player to attempt to cooperatively discuss mitigating the potential fallout of IC actions, but if they state they prefer to keep the matter entirely IC, that request must be honored.
- For 100% clarity, if you harass anyone in any way, you will be removed immediately, banned, blocked, and unwelcome to return.
- Conflict Resolution : All players of Dark City are adults, and we ask that you treat one another as peers. Not everyone can get along with everyone else at all times, and conflicts will naturally arise. If someone is upsetting you, assume they're not being intentional or malicious, and ask them to kindly stop. If they refuse, or if the behavior is excessive or antagonistic, contact Staff immediately.
- Assume Positive Intent: Online communication can be tricky in the absence of tone and body language. We ask that you assume the best of both staff and your fellow players.
- If someone says something that upsets you, by all means bring it up, but do so in such a way that presumes the other person didn't mean to upset you.
- Likewise, if someone suggests something you did or said has upset them, be gracious and apologize for it.
- Open and honest communication helps keep the game fun and casual during easy moments, and makes it possible for tense moments to take place without hurt feelings and in a continuum of trust.
- Default Rulings: House Rules -> errata -> most recent 2e.
- Live Play Rules: There may be instances that a House Rule needs to be added that affects an ability or merit or Condition or Equipment or other element that some characters already possess
- Impartiality: Staff is not allowed to process their own requests of any kind, and they can't process requests for their character's group members, significant others, or rivals.
- Staff Forums: All mediums that Staff use to communicate, including but not limited to Discord, are to be used strictly for Staff-related matters, and not to communicate about their own characters or their intentions.
Player Run Plots
- You must get approval for your PRP before you begin running it, even if you are using one of the Pre-Approved NPCs.
- Use the PRP Ticket template and submit your request to the relevant venue.
- STs for Player Run Plots may involve their PCs in their own plots under the following circumstances (and please note, all must apply, not just one):
- The character does not materially benefit from the plot. Your character can participate, but cannot receive equipment, goblin fruit, token materials, or any mechanically represented tangible award for having participated. Nor can they receive anything that might justify such an award in the future.
- The plot does not present the likelihood of killing another character. If your plot is considered 'high threat', your character is going to sit it out. If another character were to die in your plot, and your character survived unscathed? Even if you were the most upright and honest of persons, the appearance of impropriety would not be pleasant for you.
- You use a randomizer to decide who the antagonists attack first. This can take the form of a single die roll made in the open for all players to see.
- Your character stays largely in the background. The plot is for the benefit of the other characters, not you. Let them solve the problems. Learn to ask "What do you think?" a lot.
- Characters on Dark City gain a maximum of 4 experiences per month. We use flat XP, and a modified beat system. The Starting XP section on each sphere page is updated monthly by staff with the new XP total. That's how much XP everyone has, no matter when they joined and no matter how much they play.
- New characters begin play with XP equal to 35 + x per month since start of game for a total of 126. This means new characters start with the same amount of XP as characters who have been in play since start of game. The amount of XP given per month gradually decreases over time, but is always the same for everyone.
- You do not need to provide justifications for your XP expenditures with the following exceptions:
- ALL: Civil Status at and over 3
- Changeling: Mantle and Court Goodwil
- Werewolf: Renown at and over 3
- Werewolf: Primal Urge
- Vampire: All increases to Covenant/City Status since Character Sanction
- Vampire: Blood Potency
- Werewolf - Please Note Facets that are gained through Renown purchases cannot be banked.
- Two characters per player at this time.
Conflict of Interest Provisions
- Your characters cannot be in the same splat.
- Your characters cannot have Status in the same Civil Society spheres.
- You may not take any IC action that would directly benefit your alt, or your alt's pack, krewe, MCI, Hobbyist Clique, significant other, or otherwise close associate.
- When in doubt, talk to Staff.